New principal has best of both worlds

courtesy of www.chrisdignam.com

courtesy of www.chrisdignam.com

Throughout the controversy of the new superintendent, the choice for the new principal to replace Audris Griffith has been clear. Next year, Lane Tech’s current principal Dr. Christopher Dignam will be transferring to DHS. Dignam has been in the news for his contributions to Lane Tech’s new programs along with the switch to a new school, but his creative and innovative outlook on the education system will be what separates him from the rest. Dignam is an active part of student and faculty lives as a principal, and he still maintains a career as a studio recording rock musician.

“When I was in high school, I was already a professional musician so I was already playing and gigging out at different types of events, whether they were as a guitarist for a summer fest or for a wedding,” Dignam said. “…then starting my sophomore year I started getting hired to do studio work as a guitarist. That’s kind of what I was really focused on in high school; I was really into music.”

Dignam’s talent was recognized at a young age and he was granted opportunities to play at larger events such as the Taste of Chicago. However, despite his love for making and sharing music, Dignam was much more comfortable in a recording studio as opposed to the hectic touring lifestyle.

“I liked studio work, that was fun, and I liked more of doing stuff with my friends and people I knew,” Dignam said.

After living the life of a full time musician right out of high school, he thought about transferring his love of music to others by becoming a music teacher before deciding that he was not suitable for that position. Although Dignam continued, and still continues today, to be involved with his music and sharing his work, he decided to study biological science and become a teacher in that field, a career that stemmed from an inspiring teacher he had in high school.

“I…thought it would be a fun job to have because you get to learn about things and excite other people about other things that you feel passionate about,” Dignam said.

After working as a biology teacher at Lane Tech, his alma mater, Dignam went on to hold a job as an administrator for the science departments and later as assistant principal and principal at Lane. Dignam has made his creative mindset as a key asset as a principal. As soon as he got the job at Lane Tech, Dignam began making changes to the school’s programs with the help and guidance of the staff and students. He created an aquaponics program, a robotics program, a 3D and 2D art program, an art gallery for student showcases, a sound engineering class, and introduced Girls in Engineering, Math, and Science (GEMS) and STEM programs to the school. Dignam’s goal is to diversify the programs and get rid of stereotyping based on demographics.

“I wanted to see really cool, cutting edge, relevant tech courses that I was confident if a student were to take in high school, when they went on to college for four years, there would be a possible career in that field. I don’t believe in wasting anyone’s time or having my time wasted,” said Dignam.

Allowing the influence of being a father to twin daughters to come into play, Dignam has focused on giving science and math programs a larger female representation. He has made it his mission to support his belief that someone’s background or appearance should not influence their decision to do what they love, despite limited opportunities. In regards to plans for DHS, Dignam praised the programs in existence and claims he wants to listen in on what works before making any changes.

“I’m familiar with your robotics program, your art program,”said Dignam. “I’m familiar with those things, I just don’t know how much of a creative input staff has had into designing or implementing those programs or if there are things here that you would want to see on campus.”

Dignam is focused on implementing a learning environment that is suitable for all students and staff and corresponds with their needs, but being completely in charge is not his method. Dignam finds importance in experimentation to find each person’s niche and create areas in which individuals and the school as a whole can excel. Bringing back his love for music, he references it not only as an outlet but as a parallel in some ways to being a leader.

“I’ve never been afraid to step aside and let someone else take a solo even if it was my band. As an instructional leader, same thing. If you provide leadership opportunities for people, sometimes you hit a bad note, so you just practice a little bit harder and get the scale down right and do it again and help. As a leader it’s not about telling people what to do, it’s not, it’s about finding ways to do things that work well for the body that you’re serving,” said Dignam.

For more information on Dr. Dignam’s music