It takes two “I”s to spell Navicki

Many teachers teach because they love their subject area, or enjoy teaching. Imagine doing what you love while being around the person you share your life with. Mr. and Mrs. Navickas have had the pleasure of working at DHS for the last fourteen years, eleven of which they have been married for.

Many think working in the same building as your spouse may be too much interaction or a distraction from working with students. In the case of the Navicki, working in the same building is entirely the opposite.

“We have different lunches so we don’t really see each other too often during the day. If we have to do something or check in, cause we have 3 little kids, so if a kid gets sick I could run and get him. We can have face to face meetings so there’s an advantage there,” Mr. Navickas said.

Working in the same districts holds many advantages. Throughout the year, both Mr. and Mrs. Navickas’ schedules line up, making it easier for the Navicki to spend time together as a family. As important as similar schedules are, having opposite schedules in each cycle day is also helpful for them spend time with and take care of their three children.

“We are very lucky because DHS is very accommodating. They want people to have a good work/life balance. I don’t teach the first periods in the day so I can take the kids to school. He doesn’t teach the later periods in the day so he can pick the kids up from school. That allows us to both be more present with our families, which in turn allows us to feel more present in the classroom,” Mrs. Navickas.

Neither Mr. nor Mrs. Navickas feel that working in the same building as their spouse has presented challenges for them inside the classroom. Being in the same building as their husband or wife has proven to let them excel further into what they both love to do. Senior Meshi Paz–who has had both teachers–feels having this unique opportunity benefited her high school experience

“They connect to the students. I know some teachers teach more of a lecture-style class but both of them would connect with the students and make sure to know what the students want,” Meshi said.

Not all students are able to have the experience of being taught by one teacher, and then next year by their spouse. In many cases it may negatively impact the students’ education, but in this case Paz felt more connected and engaged as a learner.

“They both know me as a student but also as a person too. Because I know both of them, I think you can feel more personally connected to them and talk to either of them on a more personal level rather than just as a teacher, which is nice to have in a school environment,” Paz stated.

High school is a time of growth and development for students, something which both teachers recognize. Although mathematics and business partially overlap, the Navicki bring some of the same fundamentals to each of their classrooms, despite the differing subjects. Students such as Paz who have studied under both teachers recognize the similarities between the two.

“They both say ‘don’t get emotional,’” Paz informed. Mrs. Navickas told us she says it because Mr. Navickas says it too, so it’s really funny to hear about it.

The Navicki have impacted several students over their fourteen years working at Deerfield High School, and other schools. This has given them time to see their students shine, but more importantly, see each other shine.

“I’m really proud of her as a teacher and the type of teacher she is, and how committed she is. I am very proud of how hard she works,” said Mr. Navickas.

Mrs. Navickas feels the same way about Mr. Navickas’ work in the school.

“This is a career, not a job, and that’s how we both treat it. We are really both passionate about what we do and how we can improve. I think that’s the biggest thing that I respect about him, and that’s why we get along so well. Married couples should get along but there are some couples that just bicker and differ in a lot of ways, but that’s just not us,” Mrs. Navickas said.

Mr. and Mrs. Navickas are supportive of each other inside and outside the classroom. Despite the two teachers being in different departments, they still are able to understand the context of each other’s day to day work, creating a stronger relationship between both teachers.