Let’s Roll! New clubs for DHS students are in full swing

THAT’S SO WICKET: Rivlin tries to score by defending the wickets while playing with the Streamwood Cricket Club.

Whether it is performing in the fall play, solving world issues in Model United Nations, or running cross country, getting involved at DHS can take on many forms. For senior Sarah Soren and juniors Matthew Rivlin and Jake Musleh, who hope to bring new clubs and experiences to DHS, getting involved takes on a whole new meaning.

What started out as a joke between two friends became a true passion for Rivlin and Musleh after they began to follow cricket last spring. They were soon motivated to share the game with others at  DHS.

“When I first played cricket this past summer it was definitely different from anything I have played before. There were a lot of reasons why we were drawn to cricket, one of them was that it is a very mental sport and a lot of communication is necessary,” Musleh explained.

For Soren, the idea of starting a roller skating club took root after learning that many major cities in the U.S. and around the world have teams. Positive feedback from friends encouraged her further.

“Places like Amsterdam, Hong Kong, D.C. and lots of other major cities in the U.S have these massive roller skating clubs. They go out on the weekends and roller blade, and I thought that was really cool, so I thought it would be a fun idea to get everyone together and do that here,” Soren said.

Currently, neither club is school sponsored, but all three DHS students continue to pursue their ideas on different fronts. After her idea was rejected by the school sponsorship committee, Soren decided to continue developing the idea on her own. She is now holding skate sessions every Sunday at Jaycee Park in Deerfield.

“The reactions I got when first shared my idea were very cut in half between people saying, ‘Oh my gosh, that is the best idea!’ or others who asked why anyone would join a roller skating club. Being rejected by the school and the negative comments definitely discouraged me, but the overwhelming positive ones were so supportive that I realized this is something I really want to create” Soren said.

Unlike Soren, Musleh and Rivlin took a different approach to the situation and are still exploring the creation of a school-affiliated cricket club. There are four local high school teams that play competitively: Niles North, Rolling Meadows, Elk Grove and Lake View, so a lack of competition will not be an issue for the possible DHS team. The juniors are currently dealing with funding conflicts, safety concerns and finding a coach.

“I wouldn’t say that the school is not on board, but I think that because of the referendum and a lot of other things going on that they don’t necessarily have the money. If they had the money they would give it to us, but they just don’t have it,” Rivlin explained.

When starting a new club, encouraging and maintaining interest requires dedication and effort. Soren plans to pass responsibility for the skating club on to an underclassman next year. As the club becomes more popular, she hopes to see increased participation in all grade levels.

“When starting a club, especially if it isn’t school sponsored, you are definitely going to face difficulties getting people to go because they may not believe it is legitimate. Right now my main goal is to get people who showed enthusiasm over Facebook, and didn’t show up, to come,” Soren said.

Musleh and Rivlin have also received  positive feedback from the community through social media. They reveal that they are learning constantly throughout the process of founding their own club, and are hopeful that it will exist this coming spring,  but the future of the cricket team still remains up in the air.

“We don’t really know to be honest, a lot of stuff is a mystery to us, so we are still learning. We are putting things on facebook, reaching out to people in the area and building connections until we get somewhere.” Rivlin added.

The process and development of both clubs will continue throughout the year, but all three DHS students hope to share their passion with the student body and engage others in what they have enjoyed.

“The success of a rollerblading club is if the members are enjoying themselves and having fun. I mentioned wanting high attendance in the future, even at the first meeting where there were not many people who attended it was a lot of fun and everyone wanted to come back the next week,” Soren said.