Artist of the month: Zach Molina

Jack Bizar

For the past two years, Zach Molina has participated in early bird Jazz Band at DHS, as well as various extracurricular jazz groups

Zach Molina’s path to becoming an all-state musician was not an easy one. DHS students compete with students from 50 other schools in northeastern Illinois—and that’s just to make the district band.

“It sounds like the Hunger Games. There’s like nine districts, Deerfield’s in district seven,” Senior Zach Molina joked.

Auditioning includes playing a prepared piece, improvising and sight reading. Last year, Molina made the top district band playing jazz piano and was soon selected as one of the top musicians from all nine districts. Those selected to be part of the group of elite musicians travel to Peoria, Illinois for a two- day music festival in which they re-audition, get placed in a band and perform at the Peoria Civic Center.

“That concert started off with him playing a solo; he was the lead off,” Jazz band Director Dan Brame recounted.

Despite Molina’s recent success, being an all-state pianist wasn’t always in his sights. His career began at age five, when he told his parents he wanted to learn how to play piano. Soon after, he fell out of love with the instrument.

“I took a hiatus because I got bored,” Molina said. For much of third grade, he didn’t play, but in fourth grade, his band director urged him to return to the instrument. Molina began playing again, and during middle school he discovered jazz. He didn’t think that he would go far, until people started complimenting his work. 

“People who aren’t your parents telling you that you sound good, genuinely. It’s like, alright, maybe I should take this seriously,” Molina said. Accolades followed compliments, and in middle school he received the Woody Herman award, which honors top jazz players.

Even with all of his middle school accomplishments, Molina initially struggled for success in high school. As a freshman, he was a percussionist in the freshman band. Brame did not envision him as a top musician until Molina pushed to audition for an Illinois Music Education Association group sophomore year.

“I said ‘Well usually I just have kids who are in the advanced band do it, but alright, why don’t you try,’” Brame recounted. To much surprise, Molina made a lower level group, and it set him on a path to success. He was named an all-state jazz pianist junior year, representing his work ethic as much as his talent.

“People think I get pushed, it’s not really true. It’s pretty self-directed. It’s become an integral part of my identity,” Molina said. After the state competition last year, he rededicated himself to the instrument. Attending multiple camps and getting serious about private lessons improved his skills. These improvements will make him all the more likely to be an all-state selection for two years in a row – a rarity at DHS. 

Fellow jazz band member Marty Muzik isn’t at all surprised that Molina is one of the best in the state. On the live jazz band with Molina freshman year, Muzik remembers the jazz pianist excelling also with instruments that resembled a piano, like the xylophone. To Muzik, Molina reaching all-state status was about “when” rather than “if.”

“I wouldn’t say I’m surprised; I would say I’m impressed. I feel like I expected it out of him,” Muzik said. “It definitely makes me a little bit rattled that I didn’t take advantage of practicing.” Molina’s success is encouraging other jazz band students to make it to state as well. Muzik has confidence that younger students will continue the tradition of success.

Even though Molina won’t be getting a degree in music, he hopes piano will remain a part of his life after high school. He plans to continue pursuing his passion, and Brame shares his vision.

“I could see Zach definitely doing that, having a little combo that’s playing gigs and making money on the side,” Brame said. For now though, Molina is focused on being named an all-state pianist for the second year in a row. Already in the top district band, the odds are ever in his favor. Though he may not be armed with a bow and arrow, Molina and his jazz piano are just as dangerous in his Hunger Games: the Illinois Music Education Association all-state competition.